Tuesday, November 13, 2007

My Secret Friend

Every Tuesday, and thursday my path crosses with a young grad student on way to my 8am classes. While I am walking towards the south side of campus near the nursing school, she heads north on the brick path by the lake to the architecture building.

I started smiling at her when we first walked by eachother because she resembled one of my old biology TA's, only to realize a week later that while the both women looked the same they were not actually the same. But the smiling and hellos continued. Every tuesday and thursday, almost like clock work, we pass and exchange smiles and greetings under the early morning sunrise.

And while I don't know her name, I don't know where she's from, what her story is... I do know that she is an architecture student and I would consider us close friends. For a time never fails that when we see eachother the day becomes a little brighter with a smile from a stranger.

I'll miss seeing her next semester. But for now, I'm thankful for my secret friend. So much can be learned and felt without even the exchange or words.

No comments: