Monday, April 28, 2008

Alice in Wonderland

My newly discovered hidden talent: a knack for finding doors. Mulling over things this weekend; this past year, decisions, ect. I realized that I am especially good at finding new opportunities and potential adventures. Big doors always seem to just appear in front of me. Doors that have the ability to bring me into a different world or significantly alter my path course. Examples: studying abroad in Australia, studing abroud in Italy, working for Lead America, taking a semester off, going on missions trips, spending the summer in Kenya. The list could go on and on. And while this is a blessing most of the time, it often puts me in a place of having to make tough decisions. Even harder is when I find the door and then for some reason it appears that God closes it. I never understood why He would close the door on such great opportunities. I'd look up at Him with hands in the air and say "doesn't this look good though?" I would get upset, hurt, and frusterated.

But now I've realized that it's a secret gift. Since so many doors just appear before me, I better expect God to shut some. Just because a door/ opportunity lays at your feet, doesn't mean it's worth walking through. And so I'm thankful that I have a Father who shuts doors and guides me so directly. It's a joy! Plus, how much more exciting is it when you find a little door off in the distance that opens perfectly when you come to it. That's where I'm at now, happy with the doors that are opening and I'm walking through.

No comments: