Wednesday, May 21, 2008

My Stomping Grounds

It's 9am. The cold air brushes against my face as my cheeks begin to turn a bright shade of red. Somehow, in all the hussle and bussle of spring, Crystal Lake has not yet realized that it is May and the weather should be warmer than 55 degrees. But I'll gladly take the cooler temperatures. Mud clings to my gym shoes from my accidental steps in the freshly layed soil near the drive way. In the quietness of the country road I hear the pavement beat to the sound of every step. It's just me this morning out here. Me and the road. The oak trees seem to have gotten bigger. They tower overhead and form an awning above me. My heart beat quickens. I close my eyes for a second and deeply breathe in the midwest air. The kind of breathe that fills your tummy completely. The aromas of my small town take me away; freshly cut grass, muddy patches, pine trees, and brisk fresh air. Nothing like my jogs in Miami where the air is filtered out by the city, I'm surronded by houses, and blazing in sweat from the humidity. The rolling hills out here in Illionis also burn my thighs a bit more than the flat road in FL. But this morning that extra bit of excerise feels good. One thought rolls through my head, I'm glad to be home.

Yes, there are things about Miami that I miss. The ocean, staying up late on Thursday nights to watch Gray's Anatomy with my best friend, a certain boy, and such... but they'll all be there when I get back :)

No comments: