Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Only My Family

My mom, aunt, and I went for a cold hike out in the snowy woods today. As we climbed up the hill I looked down and noticed something orange appearing out from underneathe the snow. How odd, I smiled and said, to see something so bright admist all this white. So I bent down and realized it was an actual orange, as in a fruit. I threw it at my mom as a joke, only for her to catch it and say "well it just must be our lucky day. Finding an orange in the woods is a good luck sign for the new year :) we should eat it." And so we continued to hike as she peeled and opened our hidden fruit.
As we continued on a tad bit further a fellow cross country skier was headed straight our way to pass us. My mom smiles and waves and greets her, "goodmorning, we sure hope you didn't just drop an orange because we just found one and are eating it." The woman laughs to herself and replies, "well in fact I did just drop an orange about 15 minutes ago when I fell down and took a spill it must have fallen out of my pocket. And I said to myself I won't finish this ski until I find that orange." My mom laughs and offers her one piece of the finger malled orange, thanks her for the treat, and we continue our hike.
What are the chances. Out of the handful of people that were hiking in the woods today, that someone would find her orange, pick it up, and eat it. What are the chances that someone would actually come back and look for the orange we found? What are the chances our paths would cross?
Yes, I was slightly embarrased. But you have to admit, it sure is a cute funny story!

No comments: