Sunday, April 1, 2007

Beach Days

Out at the beach. Sitting on the sand: toes covered and all. Close enough that I can hear, see, smell, and taste the ocean saltyness on my lips. Yet far away enough that I'm not wet and submerged. I smell a cigar. I always enjoyed that smell, but I'm not sure why. Probably reminds me of my own father. I see a dad knee high emersed in a hole of sand, digging a well for his naky two year old little boy. The son who won't remember that great big hole tomorow. The son who is more content sitting in his own little puddle of water. But the father endlessly digs at the hole nonetheless. It's not about tomorow, it's all about the fun the son and father had today.

I wish we as adults could always think like that. Our efforts our not about making lasting impressions or building something that will last forever. It's just about going out of our way to make someone happy no matter what. It's all about having fun today. Right here. Right now.

PS. I also think this is how God interacts with us. He builds and does things for us even if we don't take notice. While we are more happy playing in our little puddles, the Father calls us to splash in his HUGE hole of adventure. Also, God endlessly goes out of his way for us to make us smile. God wants to have fun with us : ) He desires to spoil and play with us like the father wanted to play and build the best hole for his little boy.

No comments: