Monday, July 28, 2008

Life Lessons Learned in a Little Classroom Setting

Lead America was a long toll. Looking back on it, already only just one week out of the intense craziness, it was a great experience. Chance of a lifetime to visit so many different places, leave a mark on so many different high schoolers lives, learn such great lessons, test my limits, be educated on medicine/gross anatomy/and leadership, and be surronded by a great team to learn from/work with/ and play with. A summer full of adventure.

But, I'm also happy with my decision to end after the chicago conference and not to engage onto san francisco. It was a tough call to make. So many people in my life- that I look up to and truely value their wisdom- said I ought to push through. But in the end it came down to this... throughout the course of the ten days I spent a lot of time talking to my students about life values and helping them identify theirs. From these, I instructed, you can always make good sound decisions. When you are at a cross roads look back on your values, see which path follows most closely to what's important to you. I felt conflicted with the challenge of whether or not to do san francisco because it placed two of my core values against each other.... family and commitment. But it's here that I learned the important lesson, simply because commitment is one of my values doesn't mean I have to be commited to everything. I can have commitment as a part of my core and still leave Lead America early. Family/balance/having time to play are important to me; therefore, coming home and being on vacation for a week with no work obligations made sense. I wanted to enjoy my summer by just being home as well.

Making decisions and following my heart.
No regrets.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you did the right thing. Too many times we spread ourselves too thin and we wind up feeling over burdened and we lose our joy. Sometimes God just wants us to rest.:) Have a blessed day!