Saturday, March 29, 2008

Reflections on Feminism and Education

One of the most stimulating courses this year has been my Foundations of Education TAL 101 lecture. From the outside, one might ponder how intellectual a 101 level course could be. However, upon commiting your name to the attendance list that notion is immediatly lost. The course is set up to discuss a different contraversal issue in education each week. Over 12 scholarly assigned articles are to be read prior to class, so that instead of summerizing the issue we can focus on conversing it.

Last week's topic: feminism

Before last weeks discussions I would have never labled myself a feminist. I saw feminism as meaning a woman who tries to prove equality with typical male characteristics, denying the role of housewife and uptaking that of more male orientated postions, someone who is overly obsessed with her rights, and constantly evaluating whether she is being unjustly treated due to her gender. According to Patti Lather, feminism simply means acknowledging that gender plays a separating and organizing role within our society. More straight forward, gender -which is a socially constructed idea -effects and changes a persons life. I agree with these statments. Growing up as a girl has ingrained me with a number of natural God given characteristics. I'm still not quite sure though if, due to my aggrence with this fact, I would then openly consider myself a feminist.

Just interesting thoughts..... about what society is, how our ideas are constructed, and whether or not our perceptions and definitions are really true

No comments: