Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The summer's new motto: outward vs. inward.

My favorite thing to do in the middle of the day when I have some spare time just to think/pray, is to put myself in my place. I stop and think about where I am. and then about the town I'm in. and then about the state. and then about the country. and soon the world and then go to outer space. And when you take the time to do that you realize what a tiny little spot you are compared to everything else in the world. Too often it's easy to become focused on ourselves. We take everything and every person that comes across our life path and relate it directly back to how it effects us.

Instead we should put our focus outward. What can I do to better serve others. How can I make this person feel cared about? How can I be a better daughter, student, counselor, friend? When our focus is outward vs. inward we have a much better chance of making a good impact on the world.

Besides, it feels a lot better to go out of your way to make someone else's day special :)

No comments: